Wednesday, July 19, 2017

5 years later... what an adventure!!

                   Five years ago my daughter was diagnosed with classic autism. My world went into a downward spiral. I had so many emotions and worries. All I could think about was, "what is her life going to be like?"
                   I had no clue on what autism was and how I was going to help her. I felt helpless. If it weren't for her amazing doctors and my perseverance to not let it destroy me (because after all it wasnt about me, it was about her) I don't think I would of been able to help her.
                   I had my suspicions and began to research. I took her to the doctor and expressed my concerns. I called early intervention before she was diagnosed.  Waiting on the appointment for the developmentalist I knew what to suspect.
                 The day of her appointment I was a bundle of nerves. I knew what to expect, but really wasn't ready to hear it. I spoke with the doctor for almost an hour and half and then finally... here came the diagnosis. He told me my girl had classic autism.
                  Although I knew in my gut what the diagnosis was when I heard it out loud I was so hurt. It's a very different feeling when you suspect something compared to actually hearing it. I cried and cried. I couldn't understand what was happening.
                 I had already started our journey. I just needed to stay strong and continue it.. for my daughter.  Once I got the diagnosis I was able to change the early intervention services to A.B.A therapy. It was going to be very intense, but all worth it.
                 I look back at when we started our journey to where we are now and I wouldn't change it for the world. My little girl is now 7 years old and going to second grade. She is still in the autism program, one teacher, two aides, and six students. It is an amazing program! She is doing very well in school.
                  She is on her reading level!! She is an excellent reader, she just has trouble comprehending the context of some stories, but that's okay.  She knows the basic concepts of math but struggles with new concepts. Everyone has struggles with new concepts.
                   She is very social and interacts with all kids now. She has no problem expressing how she feels. Her appetite has improved a lot!! She eats non stop! Lol.
                   Overall I am happy with her progress. She is an amazing little girl and has shown me her ability to shine! She is a fighter and she doesn't give up.  

1 comment:

  1. Love This! We as parents with children on the spectrum are all on
    This Autism journey together. My daughter Alanis is now twenty years old, in her last year of school. She came from pointing and screaming at the things she wanted to being a beautiful bright and very smart young Lady. She's my life and my hero, I wouldn't change anything about her routine or her behavior. My family loves her to the moon and back. God Bless you and your daughter! ����

    ReplyDelete