Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Autism And Siblings...

A sibling sometimes has a difficult time trying to understand autism. Sometimes they find it hard to understand why their sibling has it. They don't know how to interact with their sibling. For a child with a learning disability it's even harder to cope and make sense of it all. As a parent I didn't know how to explain to my son that his sister had autism.
He has a learning disability and ADD so I wasn't sure he would understand autism. I tried to be very clear when I explained it to him. I had to teach him how to interact with his sister and to be verbal with her. I taught my kids sign language so they can communicate with their sister. There has been lots of great moments.
 I love watching my kids play together. I think my son and daughter can relate because they both understand each other now. My son will be able to help guide his sister and I know I will do a great job. The greatest feeling a parent can get is knowing that they are there for each other. Sibling love is AMAZING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment