Wednesday, December 12, 2012

How Bullying Has Hurt My Child's Social Skills

       When my son first started pre k4 he had no problems in school. He entered first grade and still had no problems.  For second grade he was transferred to another school because his current school did not have the program he needed.  As the school year started I received many phone calls from his teachers regarding him being bullied. I was constantly having meetings in school. It was exhausting running back and forth toschool but it had to be handled. I remember this one incident where a classmate (a girl) scratched my son on his face and left a big mark from the eye down to the cheek. I was furious.
        I didnt even call the school to make an appointment. I went to school walked through the doors and demanded to speak to the principal and parents of the girl. The school staff knew me by my first name because I was always there.Now I dont believe in hitting back, but you know what I needed to teach my son to stand up to bullying. The schools policy is keep your hands to yourself. I told the principal and "MY POLICY IS MY SON IS TO HIT BACK IF HE IS HIT!!!! "
        Since my son has had these unfortunate experiences it has scarred him. He at one point thought that is was ok to be bullied and called them his friends. They would be nice to him one day because they were too busy bullying someone else. I told my son they are not your friends. True friends care for each other not bully people. It was difficult for my son to make friends. He was always by himself. He never participated in school activites. He thought because he was different nobody would except him. He felt worthless. It broke my heart and made me cry.
         I told my son that he is worth everything..He is smart,handsome, and unique. They are the ones losing out by not being your friend. You are sweet and caring and loving and if thats not what they are not looking for then they dont know what friends mean. Kids can be very cruel especially towards special needs children. For all parents of special needs children. I urge you to please teach your children to stand up to bullying. Now I'm not saying have them go around hitting. Have your children tell school staff.  Make sure your kids tell YOU whats going on. Ask your children everyday how school was.
        Be open with your children let them know you are there for them. Make your presence known with the school that you will not tolerate bullying. Some words I used to throw at the schools were Lawyer, SPAN, Board of Education if the issues were not resolved. Be the best advocate you can be. In the end your children will be grateful.I hope I have helped any parent who might be struggling with this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment