Monday, December 10, 2012

My Journey For My ADD/LD Child

       I gave birth to three beautiful children. My first born was my son. He was a HANDSOME healthy boy. My middle child, a girl she was BEAUTIFUL and healthy. Last was my third child a PRECIOUS  healthy girl. When my son was growing up it was such an amazing experience for me. I loved being a mom. Everything was perfect in my eyes until he started talking.
      I noticed that he had slurred speech. I was concerned at this point because he was not understandng things he should know.I mentioned it to the pediatrician and of course I heard  "he is fine" "he is a boy they take longer to talk". I didnt have many options then. I was young and didnt know much. When he turned 4 yrs. old. I enrolled him in pre-k4. That's when I was assured there was something not right.
      My son's teacher was concerned also because of his speech and he didn't know any alphabets, he couldnt read and write. I made an appointment to a development Dr. My son was diagnosed with a Learning Disability. I started the Special education process and had no luck getting him placed until he was in first grade. Two years my son had to deal with it. I pushed and pushed and nobody would help.
     When he finally got placed in a self contained class I felt relieved. He was finally going to get the help he needed. Years went by and he was progressing, his speech was a lot better. He was talking clear. In fourth grade is when I noticed something else.
      His teachers would tell me that he was not paying attention in class and when he did,  he didnt understand the assignments.I had noticed the same thing at home when doing homework with him. So I again took him back to the development Dr.we discussed what was going on and I already knew what it was. To think something is one thing and to know something is heartbreaking. My son was dx with ADD/LD. We started him on medicine (which I was skeptical about) but in the end it has worked GREAT for him.
      My son has received great grades in school he even got an honorable mention in school. He now does his homework by himself and explains the work to me!!!! It's amazing to know that I have helped my son achieve success!! Don't stop fighting for your children. We are their advocates, they depend on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment